WELCOME FRIENDS, FAMILY & FACULTY!

This blog is an art history experiment for our Italian Renaissance travel course. We hope that you, our visitors, will not only take some time to read about what we are studying, but will ALSO feel free to make comments or ask us questions...especially after we see (most of) these things in person. As we travel, we will offer personal reflections on our experiences. After we fly out on the 17th, follow us as we visit Rome (May 18-20), Florence (20-24), and Venice (24-25). We return on Thursday, May 26...just in time for the holiday weekend.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Botticelli Obsessed...

I, as I am pretty sure everyone in our little group has heard, am significantly impressed with Botticelli's, Primavera. I have been ranting about this piece for a couple weeks now and Prof isn't necessarily in agreement with me. :) But that's okay. Why...you might ask, am I so impressed with this piece? To me, I appreciate the risk. It was completely and utterly out of the norm to paint a fantastical piece about various mythological characters at that time. On top of that, Botticelli somewhat positioned these characters in a way that screamed "religious painting" (Venus=Virgin Mary, Cupid=Baby Jesus...etc). So, anyway, you can imagine my excitement seeing this piece in person at the Uffizi.

I am in complete agreement with Abbie who posted last... Seeing these works in person allows for so much more focus and attention on the possibly overlooked details of the piece. Some of the things I noticed when I sat down in from of this piece was that for one, it's A LOT darker in person than the online and textbook images I'm used to. Zephyr, the wind god on the right, blends a lot more into the forest than I remember. But, being up in front allows me to see more closely the details such as all the crazy amounts of individual flowers. Supposedly there's like 500 different kinds. Hwhaaat? Nuts. Also, seeing this up close allowed for me to see more closely the different expressions on their faces. Venus, for one, really does seem super motherly and tender. Flora, truly happy... Which is beautiful to me because despite the rape that she experienced from Zephyr on her right, she is completely content and confident-looking in what she has become, as opposed to her pre-transformed Chloris self who is timid, fearful and weak. The three Graces still look ethereal, playful and somewhat in their own world. Zephry and Cupid didn't change much. But Mercury, before seeing this, I thought portrayed manly, protective and masculine characteristics, but honestly, looking at it now, he just looks like a boy.

So, I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing these pieces in person and taking in all the wonderful culture and life around me as well. It's a beautiful time. :)

Kelsey Masuda

No comments:

Post a Comment